Google+ has changed as we know it, but it’s not going anywhere.
As of last month, Google has officially abandoned its efforts to make Google+ the common user profile— aka they are no longer trying to be the next Facebook.
Instead, the recent (and major) changes to Google+ shift the focus from growth to its core users. Google+ boasts around 5 million dedicated, hardcore users out of more than 2.2 billion profiles total. For comparison, Facebook has 1.4 billion monthly active users and Twitter reports 302 million monthly active users.
Google has refocused Google+ to be a place where “users around the world connect around the interests they love.” The redesigned Google+ puts Communities and Collections front and center in an updated, streamlined platform.
For the way most businesses and brands use Google My Business in their marketing efforts, not much has changed. And if you’re still not on Google+, get there now. A small investment into your business page on Google+ can easily boost local search visibility and SEO results.
Why your business should get on Google+:
- Google+ profiles have perks in getting ranked/indexed by Google
- Edit your business info– control what your customers see
- Share news and updates with customers
- Receive and respond to customer reviews
- Google+ content itself can rank in search results
- Increase your chances of showing up on Google’s Local Carousel
- Google+ posts are indexed immediately (more search results!)